Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Early Morning Paper

One morning this summer I really did this ... poured the coffee grounds straight from the grinder to the cup ...  

The truth of the matter is that you can't fast forward the process. There's just one piece of amazingly humble paper involved. People love coffee, but the filter is sorely neglected.

Each and every day a new coffee filter lays it's life down to provide for me and anyone else who will share a pot of coffee with me. I appreciate that. The coffee gets all of the attention, but where would it be  without the filter?

If you pay attention there are always lessons to be learned. When I look at what the process does to change the filter it makes me question my own abilities. Can I consistently rise to the occasion of assisting others ... and never take any credit for it? Especially when I'm tossed aside once the goal is achieved? Am I as selfless as a coffee filter?  Not yet.  At this point in my life I get a little caught up on wondering if the coffee appreciates what the filter did for it.

It's a small gesture but I say thank you to that delicate little ruffly piece of paper every day.


John 15:13

Amplified Bible (AMP)
No one has greater love [no one has shown stronger affection] than to lay down (give up) his own life for his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment