Friday, July 6, 2012

Thank You Mom

FIRST ... a special shout out goes to my mom. Her garden(s) are truly tremendous ... every single day. These pictures made the color dare I'm about to describe come together.


Color Dare #7 from Color My Heart is the most daring so far ... well, in my opinion.

My lifetime favorite color is green. I really can't remember when it wasn't. The two colors I dislike the most in the whole color wheel are orange and purple. When the challenge was to use all three secondary colors I considered passing. BUT I was the winner of Color Dare #5 ... Rainbow.  I was asked to create a sample for this particular challenge. Who would say no to such an honor??

Here's my sample. (AND I actually love it - don't tell)


This is an all card stock layout using Close To My Heart's Topiary, Goldrush, Sunset & Petal. I also used Sunset ink. I'm so thankful for my CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge. There are soooooooo many flower options. In this case I cut one large circle of flowers at 11.5 inches. (for those with the cartridge it's <square5> shift with the Font Layer key selected) I sliced it up into the three different parts you see here.  The rest of the flowers are cut from scraps in a rather random method. (that's how I roll ... random) The edges are sponged with Sunset ink. AND of course there was a bling attack going on as well.


One thing that made me very happy was the letters. I didn't leave much room for a title (which is one of the troubles with "random" versus purposeful). Thankfully I found felt letter just the right size ... but not the right color. Sponge dauber to the rescue again. This required a little junior high art training. When I tried orange ink on pink letters it actually just made darker pink. WHY?  There's red in pink. So I got out my Sunflower (yellow) ink and TA DA!!

Red(pink) + Yellow = Orange


The same thing worked with the bling. It's impossible to see in the photos, but I inked the bling in both purple and orange. It's subtle, but it sticks with the entire theme. Three years ago (before I met CTMH) I thought ink came in 5 colors ... black, brown, red, green, & blue.  hahahahahaha!!!  Since I have almost 60 CTMH colors now I'm entertained by my ignorance. What did I do before? Now I have power to color match almost anything.


Here are some close up shots of the two pages separately ...









5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for creating this for us at Color my Heart! It is beyound gorgeous! I hope you'll stick with us and continue to stretch yourself!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have NOTHING to worry about Sarah ... I'll be back again and again. You've made a believer out of me. I have a feeling that if I look through most of my work I use the same colors again and again. NOT ANY MORE!! This color combo is proof that I can do anything I set my mind to.

      Delete
  2. Love your page, the colors go perfect and the pictures are awesome. I loved how you used the AP cart to make the flowers will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Amazing idea for those cuts on AP...keep those creative juices flowing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple and orange are not my favorite colors either, but they look rather stunning on your beautiful page. I love it all!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete